Henry Michael Behrend was a prominent doctor who published works on a variety of subjects and made a significant contribution to the London Jewish community .
He was born in Liverpool on 19th November 1827 , the son of ship broker David Behrend, who was born in Hanover in 1792 and having settled in Liverpool married Priscilla Aaron in 1823. At the time of Henry’s birth the family were living at 25 Upper Parliament Street L8, a house long-since demolished which stood where the Anglican Cathedral and St James Cemetery now stand. Studying medicine (in what has been referred to as a “brilliant academic career”) at University College Hospital London, in 1850 he was elected a member of the Royal College of Surgeons, became a licentiate of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh in 1859 and a member in 1868.
He first practised in Liverpool, living in his parents’ home
at 15 Canning Street L8. During this spell in his home city he was appointed
honorary physician of the Liverpool Dispensary and acted at surgeon to a
Lancashire regiment of militia.
Behrend lived in this house with his parents when he began his medical career in Liverpool.
© Liverpool Footprints