Edward Askew Bainbridge was the proud Chairman of Everton Football Club when they lifted the F.A. Cup for the first time in 1906 and in 1914 he was once again involved with a team playing in the cup final. However, by this time his allegiances had changed as by then he was a director of arch rivals Liverpool F.C.
The Everton board reflected the club’s origins as a chapel project and it may be that Bainbridge, as a pub licensee, indeed the son of a licensee, sat uneasily amongst his teetotal fellow directors. His father’s origins were in Westmoreland, baptised in the small village of Beetham near Milnthorpe. The family having moved to Liverpool, Edward Bainbridge was by the 1880’s the proprietor of the ‘Woodman’ public house at 342 Great Howard Street L5. By 1901 we find him running the impressive ‘Plough Inn’ at 172 Rice Lane. He later lived at 10 Wembley Gardens L9 (a fitting address for a cup winning chairman). In the 1920’s he lived at 267 County Road L4 and 44 Cedar Road L9, and for most of the 1930’s at 29 Lynwood Road L9.
Outside of football he enjoyed sporting prowess in his youth as a sprinter and also represented England as a bowls player.
Bainbridge was the licensee of The Plough in the first years of the 20th century
Bainbridge's home at the time of the 1911 census
Bainbridge's home in the 1920's.
Bainbridge's home in the 1930's.
There is a no particular source on Edward Bainbridge.
© Liverpool Footprints