George Clay Hubback, like his older brothers, was a civil engineer who left England to work abroad, in his case India, but later took an alternative path and devoted himself to a life in the church.
He was born in Liverpool on 7TH April 1882, the son of Liverpool corn merchant Joseph Hubback and his wife Georgina (née Benison), their home at the time being at West Kirby. The Hubbacks had some standing in the city, Joseph Hubback serving as mayor from 1869-70, and Orchard’s Liverpool Legion of Honour noted that Georgina was involved in the administration of parish relief and was president of the Liverpool Needlework Guild which supplied poor people with clothing. After the death of Joseph in 1882 the family returned to Liverpool, living at 22 Falkner Square L8. He had three brothers; Arthur was a civil engineer and soldier, Joseph was a civil engineer and rubber broker, and Theodore who was a civil engineer and pioneering nature conservationist..
George Hubback was educated at Rossall College and Liverpool University. After working as a Civil Engineer on the Admiralty Harbour, Dover, and then for the Port Trust, Calcutta, G.C Hubback joined the Oxford Mission to Calcutta in 1908, and was ordained a Deacon. He remained in Calcutta until 1924, with the exception of the years 1910–12 as curate of St Anne's, Lambeth, and 1916–17 as war hospital chaplain in Bombay. He became bishop of Assam in 1924 and received a Lambeth D.D in 1929. In 1945 he succeeded Foss Westcott as Bishop of Calcutta and Metropolitan of India. He retired five years later, living first at Salisbury and latterly in Guildford. He died in hospital at Guildford on 2 November 1955 after a fall in the street.
Hubback's home in the early 1890s until he moved to Malaya
© Liverpool Footprints